By Florida Statute, the primary teacher of a class is responsible for the accurate reporting of attendance and maintenance of attendance records for the assigned students and reporting to administration and Attendance Office students with potential absence and/or tardy problems.
Attendance must be taken daily in all classes according to state law. Attendance for the first period of the instructional day must be recorded in Skyward by 8:30 am. Attendance for all other classes must be online by 3:00 pm, daily.
Official attendance is recorded each class period via Skyward within the first 15 minutes of class. Initially, an absence is reported as Absent (A). Students tardy to a class period are recorded as Tardy (L).
- Teachers will take attendance regularly
- A reminder will be sent from Skyward if teacher hasn’t taken attendance
- ISD Support (and members of student and family services when needed) will make daily phone calls to families that have students that have reached 5, then 10, unexcused absences. See Attendance policy.
- Skyward will call families if their student is marked absent or tardy
If a student is tardy:
- At the beginning of the day, they check in at the Main Office Tardy Kiosk.
- To class, they check in at the Main Office Tardy Kiosk.
- The Tardy Kiosk gives a time-stamped paper that the student brings to class to give to the teacher.
- Secondary Behavior Coach will bring attendance data to Student and Family Services.
- Student cases will be discussed and action will be agreed upon. If discussion about attendance is had with student/family, this will be documented in the Grade Level Communication Log.
- ISD Support will send out Grade Level Communication Log to each grade level every Friday.
Communication to Faculty
- During pre-planning, reminder to faculty about taking attendance daily
- Grade Level Communication Log
- Faculty will get a reminder from Skyward to take attendance if they haven’t taken it.
- Program Leadership Meetings
- Secondary Activities Coordinators
- LCL week
- Faculty Policy Council
Communication to Families
- Changes to Code of Conduct/Attendance Policy
- Pre-arranged absences, phone calls, student check-in system (Tardy Kiosk)
- Data showing that you have to be in school to learn
- On Mondays, ISD Support will run a report of all unexcused absences from Skyward.
- ISD Support (and members of student and family services when needed) will make daily phone calls to families that have students who have excessive absences or tardies based on the attendance policy.
- ISD Support logs this call in the Grade Level Communication Log.
ISD Support sends email to each grade level about attendance
Grade Level Communication Log Format:
|Student Name||Date of Call||Call Made By||Notes of Call|
Once a student reaches 15 unexcused absences, it will be addressed through administration. Please review: Attendance Policy
- Tardy to school is a hard press on families.
- Tardies to 2nd, 3rd and 4th period classes is a hard press on students.