All athletes must have a FHSSA physical form on file with the school (forms available in the front office or downloadable here: scroll down to important information and be sure to note there are two forms – physical form to be completed by a doctor and consent form to be completed by parent/guardian and athlete). Athletes are not allowed to TRY OUT, practice or compete without both forms filled out completely (FHSSAA rule.)
- Swim practices will be at Westside Monday – Friday from 4:00 – 5:15 PM (Morning and Saturday practices may be added as the season progresses)
- Swim Practice begins Monday, August 10 (NOTE: This date is tentative based on social distancing rules in place at the pools)
- PKY students in grades 6-12 are eligible to try-out for the team. To be on the team, the swimmer must be able to complete 50 yards of continuous freestyle with face in the water with side breathing and flutter kicking . This is a high school sports program so we cannot provide swim lessons, however, we do help swimmers develop their strokes. If younger students are not able to make the team right now, there are several excellent opportunities in Gainesville for swim lessons that will enable them to be on the team in subsequent years. Athletes newer to the sport who make the team will attend 2-3 days a week (Typically Tuesday and Thursday with Friday as optional but this is not set in stone for 2020 yet)
- In order to attend practices 5 days a week, swimmers must be able and willing to complete a 3000-yard workout and make 100s on 2:00 minute intervals.
- Diving practice: Monday – Friday 3:30 – 5:00 PM at Northeast pool with Coach Fondren Deloach
- COVID-19 Information: I have had some questions about this. I have received no information about how the season will run this year. As many of you know, I strive to be inclusive and enable as many athletes as possible to enjoy being part of the team. HOWEVER, if we are forced to limit numbers in practice, priority will be given to (1) those who will likely advance to post season (i.e. districts and beyond) and then to (2) upperclassmen who have less time left to participate in high school sports. Should this happen, I will be as transparent about my decisions. At this point, I am still hoping we do not need to worry about the number of participants.
Team Fees: Each athlete is asked to make a voluntary contribution of $100 which supports our season. The money goes toward team t-shirts, team caps, banquet hall rental, banquet catering, banquet swag, transportation, meet fees, official fees, stopwatches, clipboards, etc. We hope to buy team tents this year as well.
2020 TENTATIVE Schedule: More meets will likely be added and be prepared for adjustments
- First week of school -parent meeting TBA
- Time Trials -TBA
- August 19 – Gainesville Jamboree Relay Meet (high school only unless middle school athletes make line up by time)
- September 2 – Columbia (Away)
- September 9 – BHS
- September 26 – City Meet (high school only unless middle school athletes make line up by time)
- September 28 – GHS
- October 5 – SFCA/Oak Hall/Christ Redeemer
- Pentathlon (for new swimmers) – TBA
- October 14 – EHS
- Districts (Week of Oct. 26-31) Typically Tues. – limited roster (4 entires per event; one team per each relay event). Each athlete may compete in 4 events with no more than 2 being individual events
- Regionals (Week of Nov. 2-7) Typically Thurs. – roster by state-mandated qualification
- States (November 13-14) – roster by state-mandated qualification
- Nov or Dec – Team Banquet
Swim Suit Orders: The girls and boys teams will order from separate companies this year because certain companies are for females-only. Team suits are optional but encouraged. Because of the uncertainty associate with this year, I am planning to keep the same suits for next season as well. Ordering information is based on company policies about how long stores can stay open and on ensuring we have the suits before our first meet on August 19. Suits will be delivered in bulk to school so everyone does not have to pay individual shipping charges.
Girls Suits: Jolyn Store (note there are multiple designs). Store is open now until July 30.
Boys Suits: Agon Swim (jammers or briefs) Store will be open from July 5 – 12: https://beta.agonswim.com/teams/91894
Teams in our District and Regional: 2019DistrictRegionalTeams
PKY Swim/Dive Records: PKYRecordsFormattedSept2018