Update: Coronavirus (COVID-19) 03.11.2020March 11, 2020
Many thanks to all members of the Blue Wave community for your patience and cooperation as we monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and make plans for our school community.
Please know that this situation has the potential to change quickly, and we will respond as quickly as possible as information is made available to us.
We are aware that a case of coronavirus was confirmed in Alachua County on March 10. We are also aware that the University of Florida will move all classes online beginning March 16.
At present school will remain open.
SCHOOL IS OPEN (as of March 11, 8:45pm)
1. Student, faculty, and staff attendance is continuing according to our regular schedule.
2. Athletics, school activities, and school-sponsored travel will proceed as planned.
3. State testing schedules are continuing as planned.
We have plans in place to continue instruction remotely if the decision is made to close school.
IF SCHOOL CLOSES…
1. Students will not be permitted to come to campus.
2. Athletics, school activities, travel, and all school events will be canceled.
3. Decisions regarding state testing will be based on information provided by the Florida Department of Education and College Board.
4. Instruction will continue remotely.
SPRING BREAK TRAVEL for FAMILIES
We will continue to follow guidance from the University of Florida and the Alachua County Health Department regarding procedures for self or mandatory quarantine. At this time, there are directives to require quarantine for people who have traveled to China, Italy, Iran, Japan, and South Korea.
ABOUT REMOTE INSTRUCTION
If school closes, instruction will continue remotely via digital and paper-based methods. A survey regarding household internet access will be forthcoming.
Students K-3 will receive paper-based instructional support with devices serving as supplemental educational tools. Devices will be issued to students grades K-3 as the closure timeline permits.
Students 4-12 will receive instruction using digital tools to communicate with teachers and complete tasks. Devices will be issued to 4th and 5th grade students.
If school closes, remote instruction will begin on the third school day after school closes. For example, if school closed at the end of the school day on a Wednesday, remote instruction would begin on the following Monday.
To restate, as of March 11, 8:45pm school is open. Decisions regarding school closure will be made in consultation with the University of Florida and the Alachua County Health Department. We will provide updates as information becomes available.
Again, we thank all of you for your patience and cooperation. Please see the links below for further information.
- CDC Preventing the Spread of Coronavirus
- UF Coronavirus Updates
- Alachua County Emergency Management – Coronavirus
- Florida Department of Education – Coronavirus
- Florida Department of Health COVID-19
- CDC – Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Talking to Children About Coronavirus
Back to Announcements >