State Update | P.K. Yonge Update 03.19.2020March 19, 2020
In a call with the Commissioner of Education yesterday, information regarding school closures and actions currently being taken were reviewed.
The information below includes highlights from the Commissioner’s guidance and details specific to P.K. Yonge.
- Campus will be closed until April 15, 2020.
- For P.K. Yonge, school resumes March 30 via remote instruction.
- Decisions regarding closures are to be updated every 15 days.
- Virtual/remote instruction is encouraged to the greatest extent possible.
- Our ability to make a speedy shift to remote instruction means that we will proceed based on our published calendar for the 2019-20 school year. The last day for students is May 29 (for seniors, May 22).
- Required instructional hours for 2019-20 may be reduced to accommodate for closures.
- Remaining state assessments for K-12 are cancelled for this school year.
- Requirements for graduation and promotion and final course grades will be evaluated as though canceled assessments did not exist.
- Eligibility for Florida Bright Futures scholarships will be based on available data and results. Tests not available to be taken will not be counted.
- Flexibility has been given for the remainder of the school year regarding how we provide services for students who have IEPs/504s/EPs. Solutions may be determined in consultation with the P.K. Yonge Student and Family Services team and families.
Guidance has also been provided regarding additional topics including funding shifts, school readiness and VPK, among others. If you are interested in reading the full release: Florida DOE Guidance for 2019-20 School Year
The College Board is working on solutions for students currently enrolled in AP classes. Information can be found here: Updates for Schools Impacted by Coronavirus. We will be in contact with families of AP students as more information becomes available.
P.K. Yonge Virtual School Courses
P.K. Yonge Florida Virtual School coursework continues without disruption. Students should be, at minimum, 50% complete with Segment 2 by March 19. Courses must be complete by May 29, 2020. Contact Lisa Tillett with questions | email@example.com.
Additional information regarding resuming instruction is forthcoming.Back to Announcements >