As stipulated by the Florida K-20 Education Code (s.1002.20) parents have the right to choose educational options such as Florida Virtual School for their children. Section 1002.455, F. S., states that school districts eligible for the sparsity supplement are required to provide one virtual school option. The virtual option provided by P.K. Yonge DRS during the academic year is MyDistrict Virtual School through an agreement with the Northeast Florida Educational Consortium. While P.K. Yonge cannot limit access to virtual options, the school counselor will determine if the course is academically appropriate for the student based upon the student's academic history, grade level, and age. Parents will be provided written notification of the MyDistrict Virtual School open enrollment period 90 days prior to the first day of the school year; open enrollment will end 30 days prior to the first day of school. Written notification will be provided via both the annual Student Handbook and Course Description Guide and the 2013-2014 Preliminary Course Request Form.
Students wishing to take courses at MyDistrict Virtual School are more than welcome to do so. The following policies will be used to approve or deny these courses. Counselors will approve MyDistrict Virtual School courses under the following circumstances:
- Credit Recovery (for middle school courses) in situations where a student made an "F," or Grade Forgiveness (for high school courses) in situations where a student made a "D" or "F" for a semester or full year
- If the desired online course(s) is an academically appropriate placement based on the criteria set forth by F.S. 1002.20 Counselors may determine if course(s) is academically appropriate:
- Student's academic history
- Material/content of course is not grade level and/or age appropriate for the student at this time.
- Requested courses might not adhere to the recommended course progression. The following steps are necessary to enroll in a MyDistrict Virtual School course.
- The parent/student must contact a PKY counselor to create an account and register for MyDistrict Virtual School.
- The PKY counselor approves course(s).
- MyDistrict Virtual School will assign a teacher and this can take approximately 2-4 weeks depending upon course/teacher availability.
Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2011-2012 school year, at least one course within the 24 credits required in this subsection must be completed through online learning. However, any online course taken during grades 6 through 8 our through Florida Virtual School during the summer and/or beyond the school day fulfills this requirement. This requirement can be met through an online course offered by the MyDistrict Virtual School, an online course offered by the high school, or an online dual enrollment course offered pursuant to a district inter-institutional articulation agreement pursuant to s. 1007.235. A student who is enrolled in a full-time or part-time virtual instruction program under s. 1002.45 meets this requirement.
The following P.K. Yonge courses are “blended” learning courses and as such meet the definition of on-line learning: Biology, Biology Honors, H.O.P.E. Please note that the MyDistrict U.S. calendar is very similar to P.K.Yonge’s school calendar.